Saturday, September 8, 2012

Aches & Pains

UGH!!

I've been having intermittent shin pain since I started running. At first it was the outer shin muscle that was tight and sore. My feet were falling to the inside because I didn't have enough arch support. I bought inserts. It helped a ton! Now, though, its the inside muscles/shin splints. And that hurts far more than the muscle strain. Ugh. Ugh. UGH.

I down shifted from running to walking, hoping that was enough of a break for me. The pain dissipated. Almost. I was feeling better. I WANTED to run. And, for me, that's a HUGE thing. Exercise has always been a struggle for me. Now, it was finally something FUN to do.

Yesterday I did a nice long walk. Not taxing. Peaceful. Enjoyable. No pain, no soreness. It was all good. So, this morning, after a few days off, I wanted to run. It was gonna be a slow, easy, steady jog. Nothing too strenuous, but I wanted to kick up my cardio. I wanted to feel like I was doing some exercise.
(Disclaimer: Those with sensitive ears should cover them now. I'm about to curse like a sailor. Mom, don't read the next part.)

Holy Fuck!! The pain in my right leg from my knee to my ankle is amazing. And by amazing, I really mean really fucking insanely painful. I had to limp home about 1/3 of the way through the run/jog.

I KNOW!! What was I thinking? But, c'mon. I WANTED to run. Holy cow that's a new feeling for me. Not running made me ache for my tennis shoes. Stopping or slowing down was hurting me. Not really, but kinda. Whoever thought getting up at the ass crack of dawn to voluntarily run until I couldn't breathe and felt like I might pass out would turn into such a weird obsession? Not me. Holy shit. Not me.

Despite all that, I do realize that I need to let me body heal or else this will always be a problem or worse a really big fucking problem. Today, I am icing my shins, taking ibuprofen. Both to help with the swelling/inflammation and to ease the pain. I have committed to NOT run or walk this week. We'll see where we are on Friday and assess whether or not we need to see a doctor.

I am not a patient patient. This week is going to be tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Braaaaains!