Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Run #4

I was feeling great about this run yesterday. The pain I'd had in my shins was all but gone since I found some new insoles for my tennis shoes. I even went to bed early to prepare for the early morning run.

Unfortunately, I slept like shit. I climbed into bed around 9:30, tossed and turned until well after 11:30. Woke up at 12:30 thinking it was time to get up. Then tossed and turned for another hour or more. Fell asleep for a little bit, but was up again at 3:30, 4:30, 5:00 and then finally 5:30 when the alarm went off. Today is gonna be rough, I tell ya.

I took the dog with me today because when I came back from the last early morning run, she went freaking nuts when I walked in the front door. Even though the lights were on, she barked and barked and barked. Woke up the kids, pissed off Ian and just made a mess of it. Besides, as crazy as Penny is, she needed the extra exercise. It's gonna take us a while to get into the running groove. She's used to leisurely walks and no amount of yelling at her that there were zombies chasing us made a hill of beans difference. We still had to stop at every damn mailbox to sniff and pee. This dog would be zombie snack in no time. 

Mission #3 of the Zombies, Run! app was MUCH better than the last one. The story got a little deeper. You found out that the zombies weren't the only real danger, that the living could be just as scary. My set list was better this go round and I felt better cardio fitness this time.

Running in the dark is just plain freaking creepy. I love it. I'm much more aware of sounds and movement and the darker places where the street lights don't quite reach. I felt silly looking over my shoulder a few times and  having the dog with me was a bit of reassurance. I freely admit to being creeped out by imaginary zombies.

The crappy part came when the inner part of my shin started to ache. I tried to ignore it, slowed my pace, less impact, etc. About 3/4 of the way through my run, though, it got worse. Shooting up to my knee with every step. So, I walked limped the remainder of the way home. I didn't get as far as I wanted to and my pace was off from where I had targeted, but all in all, I did alright.

Mission #3 Log
Distance: 1.59 mi
Time: 24:07 min
Playlist
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
Like a Stone by Audioslave
Persian Song by Course of Empire
Automatic Writing #17 by Course of Empire
Freaks by Course of Empire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Braaaaains!