Monday, September 3, 2012

Run #3 - Meh...

This morning was a new run. I was psyched up for a great run. I had new insoles for my shoes that I was hoping would alleviate some of the shin and hip soreness I'd experienced earlier. I was also looking forward to Mission 2 of the Zombies, Run! app I've been using. That first one was the bomb!

The real kicker, for me, was actually that Jay and I would be running together. And, by together I really mean simultaneously. You'll remember that he's on the other side of the continent from me. Time zones put us a fair amount apart on when we run so running "together" isn't really a feasible thing. But, everyone always says that running with a partner is easier and more fun than running alone. Makes sense. In fact, that's exactly why we made our initial pact together. To do it, y'know, together. With the Labor Day weekend on us, we had the perfect opportunity to try to sync up.

We agreed to start at roughly the same time, both of us listening to Mission 2 of Zombies, Run! and then we'd compare notes. Jay got up and started at 5:30 (He got the short end of that stick and I think it was pretty awesome of him to push himself to getting up so early. On a holiday, no less!) and I was up and ready to go at 8:30.

Headphones on? Check. New arch supports inserted in shoes? Check. Playlist geared up? Check.

I was ready and pumped to get out there and totally kill my run.

I won't say my run was bad. It was just okay. I ran farther and easier than the other two runs. I think I kept a more even pace even if it was slower. Mainly, it was the lackluster filler storyline of Mission Two of Zombies, Run! that made the run less than stellar. Plus, my music was on shuffle and it didn't really hit the spot like last time.

I will say that the highlight of the run was knowing that someone else 3000 miles away was right beside me running. Every hill that made me want to groan or slow down and walk, just made me think about not letting Jay down. He wouldn't let me stop. He'd be giving me some silly grin and telling me to push it on a little further.

It worked. I did push myself up some hills that I might not have otherwise. In that, it was a good run! Run #3 Log

No comments:

Post a Comment

Braaaaains!